Trademark Essentials For In-House Counsel: Best Practices For Managing The Most Common In-House Trademark Issues
Most companies have one or more brands they are trying to protect from infringement, and many In-House Counsel are corporate generalists without the specific skillset required to weigh-in on this highly nuanced area of the law. However, as the attorney for the company, it’s never been more important to know how to identify these issues and be savvy about solutions.
There is always a natural tension between marketing and legal when it comes to matters of protecting the brand. Whether In-House Counsel has the assistance of outside counsel, it’s critical to learn the fundamentals of trademark law and brand protection, including the instances where rights of publicity and copyright rights are likely to pose a problem in most corporate environments. Armed with this knowledge, In-House Counsel will be able to protect the company’s brands and conserve outside counsel resources.
With that in mind, In-House Connect is pleased to feature Stacey C. Kalamaras of Kalamaras Law Office, LLC, who will present a dynamic presentation for In-House Counsel on the fundamentals of trademark law and related brand protection issues. The following topics (and more) will be addressed:
– What a trademark is, including the purpose and scope of trademark rights
– The different kinds of trademarks
– The strength and hierarchy of trademark rights
– The value of trademark rights
– The USPTO process
– How to properly use a trademark to retain its value
– When you might consider referring a matter to outside trademark counsel
– How to commercially exploit a trademark in licensing and other agreements
– How trademarks rights factor into the due diligence process when a company is bought or sold
In addition, Stacey will illustrate her presentation with some war stories to prove the importance of protecting and enforcing a company’s trademarks.
NOTE: THIS RECORDING IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CLE CREDIT.